La Ronda is just around the corner

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Ecuador still shaking. Quito, Ecuador. May 2016.

You never know what to expect when you live in Ecuador. Taxes, new laws and decrees almost every week, earthquakes, volcanoes, more taxes, more earthquakes, more laws... Not exactly in this sequence... 
We had two powerful earthquakes this Wednesday, May 18: 
source: http://www.igepn.edu.ec/ultimos-sismos
A magnitude 6.7 on the Richter scale at 2:57 a.m., epicenter in the area of Mompiche, Esmeraldas province,
And new replica, magnitude of 6.8, was recorded at 11:46 a.m. also in Esmeraldas.

From 2:57 a.m. until 9 a.m., on May 18, 19 aftershocks were registered, the strongest was 5.6 (Richter scale) at 3 a.m., preceded by two of 5.4 and 4.8. So far there have been 1504 aftershocks after April 16th main earthquake.

My experience: it started around 3 a.m., I woke up because my bed was vibrating and Sashka, my dog, was howling. It stopped and started to shake again in a few minutes. I didn't move and went back to sleep. During the second quake I was in the shopping mall and didn't notice anything unusual. 
I want to believe that both of my apartments in Quito located in quake-proof buildings. My Centro Historico apartment building was built in 1970, so it must be quake-proof, otherwise it would be destroyed long time ago. The North Quito apartment building where I live, built in 2010, was designed to be quake-proof.
So far so good, properties still standing in Quito and we are alive and well, only a little uneasy.  


Rental in Quito, for tourists and expats.
We have a 2 bedroom, 1 bath totally remodeled
Colonial Quito, furnished apartment for rent.
Anti-noise windows in both bedrooms
For booking, pictures and more info