La Ronda is just around the corner

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Difference in prices: Ecuador VS USA. Mascara and lipstick. Quito, Ecuador. January 2016.

When I go to US to visit family and friends, I leave my westie Sashka with my neighbor. In exchange I bring her something from US, one of her favorite items is  Maybelline Express Mascara, I usually buy it at Target, cost - $5.99. In Quito the cost of the same tube of mascara is $18.35.
Another popular item is Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer. The price of pack of FOUR tubes at amazon.com is $14 -$18. In Quito, ONE Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer tube set you back for $11.40.

Considering local wages, unemployment, rampant inflation caused by high taxation, Ecuadorian women nowadays have the same dilemma we had in my hometown (Bobruisk, Belarus) in 1980s and 1990s: to buy food or to buy mascara?

and to drown your sorrows: bottle of Absolut vodka, 750 ml, cost $20 in US and $58 in Ecuador.  

Rental in Quito, for tourists and expats.
We have a 2 bedroom, 1 bath totally remodeled
Colonial Quito, furnished apartment for rent.
Anti-noise windows in both bedrooms
For booking, pictures and more info