La Ronda is just around the corner

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Encounter with Mayor of Quito. Ecuador. August 2014.

I was hurrying to the Tango Gala at the Plaza Grande Hotel and here he was, mayor of Quito,  Mauricio Rodas, walking, well, trying to walk across the Plaza Grande. People around recognized him, some were approaching the mayor to shake his hand and I decided to join the trend. I shook his hand, told him that it was nice to meet him and went along to my destination.
Later it occurred to me that I met in person every mayor of Quito from 2007 to 2014. My girlfriend 's daughter was one of the candidates of "Reina de Quito 2007" and I was invited to the gala-presentation of candidates, which mayor Paco Moncayo and his spouse attended.
In 2010 we saw Augusto Barrera, then-mayor of Quito in Parque Metropolitano. Also, in my collection of encounters with public figures in Quito - listening to the president of Ecuador giving speech from the balcony of Presidential Palace, being at the same events(and shaking their hands of course) as ambassadors of Russia, China, and Egypt.

I started to think back and recalled that in my life in Minneapolis I shook hands with then-United States Senator Paul Wellstone, then-candidate to Governor of Minnesota (he won) Tim Pawlenty,  United States Senator Amy Klobuchar, and then-Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak.  
I saw my favorite Governor of Minnesota, then - ex Governor Jesse Ventura, at his book signing event at Mall of America.
Also while I was working for H&R Block I won some contest and had company sponsored trip to Kansas City to have lunch with Henry Bloch, founder of H&R Block.

All of them have something in common - they are very charismatic, have high level of communication skills and they have to shake a lot of hands! 


Monthly rental in Quito, for tourists and expats.
We have a 2 bedroom, 1 bath totally remodeled
Colonial Quito, furnished apartment for rent. 
For booking, pictures and more info 
http://quitorental.blogspot.com  


Rental in Quito, for tourists and expats.
3 bedroom, 1 bath remodeled
Colonial Quito, furnished apartment for rent.
For booking, pictures and more info
http://quitorental2.blogspot.com