La Ronda is just around the corner

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Cost of grocery shopping in the neighborhood store (tienda) in Quito Ecuador. May 2014.

I paid $8.80 for my shopping(list below) in the little tienda located few blocks from my apartment. The cost of produce at the market and tiendas are much cheaper than Supermarket's prices, besides I can walk there.
one middle sized papaya (Ecuadorian grown - Eg)
seven small bananas            Eg
two pounds of black grapes  Eg
two chicken drumstick-thigh combination
10 mandarins                        Eg
two pounds of potatoes         Eg
five ears of corn(and you can see that it's not a GMO corn)  Eg
ten small/middle sized carrots   Eg
bunch of radishes                      Eg

I would like to add that I buy my produce from the same vendors at the Ofelia market and at the tienda and I don't bargain, because:
First - I know that it is the price for everyone, not just for me, "gringa",
Second - they always give me their best produce and yappa.
Third - I respect their hard work, my parents used to have hobby farm in Belarus, I used to work on a filed - it's not easy!

If you have questions about cost of grocery in Ecuador, send me your request, I will check the prices and publish it.
You can find my email in my other blogs




Rental in Quito, for tourists and expats.
We have a 2 bedroom, 1 bath totally remodeled
Colonial Quito, furnished apartment for rent.
For booking, pictures and more info
http://quitorental.blogspot.com


Rental in Quito, for tourists and expats.
3 bedroom, 1 bath remodeled
Colonial Quito, furnished apartment for rent.
For booking, pictures and more info
http://quitorental2.blogspot.com