La Ronda is just around the corner

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Expats in Ecuador forums: English and Russian speaking. Quito, Ecuador. November 2013.


I don't write on expats forums anymore, but I do read them on a regular basis for my amusement.
There are lots of similarities in between  English and Russian speaking Expats forums:
* People on both forums tend to attack each other for different opinion or just because..
* When newcomers (no matter what lanquage they speak) asking questions on forums, they might be lucky and receive a good advice/information. Sometimes, though, advice are given by people who don't even live in Ecuador or Ecuador expats provide such a misinformation (or outdated information) that it's funny to read.
* People have different financial standpoints. I remember in 2006 I asked (on Russian speaking Ecuador expat forum)  - is it possible to buy apartment in Quito for $30K?  I was told that these prices don't exist anymore in Quito and it is impossible. Well, I bought my first condo in Quito for $20K.  I guess we had different criteria for "possible" and "impossible".
* When I read questions that newcomers asking on forums (below), I cringe.
can I have (such and such) business in Ecuador?
or I have kids and I want to move to Ecuador?
or where should I buy real estate in Ecuador? 
Guess what kind of answer they usually receive. Most likely strangers on forums would tell you - no, you cannot do it. It is expensive, it is complicated, the market is saturated, the prices are up, and so on
I know expats (Russian and English speaking) who built successful businesses in Ecuador, some of them arrived here with not much $$$ in their pocket, I know women ((Russian and English speaking) who came to Ecuador solo, no resources, with kids and strived,  I know expats with good paying jobs (Russian and English speaking) here in Ecuador. All of them have something in common - they came to Ecuador and they accomplished it - better life for themselves, without asking a stranger's opinion.

I also have heard about expats, again English and Russian speaking, who arrived to Ecuador with substantial amount of money and lost it due to bad investments.



Monthly rental in Quito, for tourists and expats.
We have a 2 bedroom, 1 bath totally remodeled
Colonial Quito, furnished apartment for rent.
For booking, pictures and more info
http://quitorental.blogspot.com



Rental in Quito, for tourists and expats.
3 bedroom, 1 bath remodeled
Colonial Quito, furnished apartment for rent.
For booking, pictures and more info
http://quitorental2.blogspot.com