La Ronda is just around the corner

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Difference between two embassies in Quito.


I had to go to the Russian consulate to legalize some Russian/Spanish translations. What a difference it was in comparison with the States Embassy.
I am just stating the facts.  I am not judging what is better or worse.
Here it is:
A non-descript building in the middle of Mariscal versus a compound in North Quito.
I pushed the buzzer and the door opened automatically, no guards in sight versus three layers of security, including airport like security.
I crossed a little garden and entered a tienda-like space with a line of people
versus a spacious place where people take a number and sit in silence waiting for their turn.

And then the fun begins!!!  Some Russian guy in his 60's stood in the line behind me.  Our conversation lasted about half an hour and during this time he told me his profession in Quito is and what his occupation back in Russia was and how long he has been married to his Ecuadorian wife.  We discussed the differences between corruption in Russia and States.  In Russia, the corruption goes from the bottom-up, in States it tends to stay at the upstairs levels.

He told me how bad Russia is, but warned me that he wouldn't let anyone bad-mouth his motherland - this is only his privilege.

He managed to talk to the service person over my head (a very Russian habit - I like to do it myself when I can) and I cannot even imagine someone talking this way to the service person at the States Embassy.  The funniest moment was when his passport pictures were rejected, he offered me one.   I said that I would love to (lol) but my husband - not.

You cannot find this kind of entertainment (conversation) in States Embassy!



Monthly rental in Quito, for tourists and expats.
3 bedroom, 1 bath remodeled
Colonial Quito, furnished apartment for rent.
For booking, pictures and more info
http://quitorental2.blogspot.com


Monthly rental in Quito, for tourists and expats.
We have a 2 bedroom, 1 bath totally remodeled
Colonial Quito, furnished apartment for rent.
For booking, pictures and more info
http://quitorental.blogspot.com