La Ronda is just around the corner

Monday, March 5, 2012

ECUADOR VISAs – Tourism, Investment, Overstaying, Extensions, Changing Status, Working as a Professional. Part three. March 2012.

Walking tours of Centro Historico Quito with Liliya
Entertaining history, legends, stories, gossip and
a lot of info about things to do and see in Quito.
$20 for a two-hour tour for one person
$5 for every additional person
For booking email me at lbassist2003@yahoo.com



Part one


Part two



quote
I just assembled this run-down on the situation with Ecuadorian visas as of 28 February 2012 and hope it helps people!
Things are changing ALL the time – and very quickly…!

- How – For 6-Month “12-IX” Extensions.

 You can get a six-month “12-IX” extension to a “12-IX” 6-month tourist visa if you have one already which you obtained from abroad. In this case, you need to provide more documents, including a police clearance certificate which you ALSO had to present when you obtained the visa initially. (Why do you need to show it again when you showed it already to get the visa you have? Well, it makes no sense, really, but that’s what they want!)

 You will also need to pay US$230 — the same price of the visa in the U.S. (though note that it is the equivalent of over US$400 in Australia!).

 - How – For Working Visas and other “more complex” types.

 If you want to go down this route, more power to you! I met no less than three foreigners when I visited the office all of whom were trying to obtain more “complex” visa types. And they had some amazing stories to tell. One woman from the Netherlands had to return to the office eight times – each time for a minimum of 8 hours each (and she still didn’t have any visa in hand!). A man from the UK shared that he was there one day when the computers went down and everybody was sent home after waiting over six hours. An Ecuadorian attorney I know shared that it took him over 2.5 years to get the office to process a spousal visa (it was for a same-sex couples and apparently the office reps did not want to follow Ecuador’s law re: gay couples).

 When I was there, it took me about 5 hours to finally see a woman who, after 5 minutes, told me that she could not help me, didn’t want to help me, and sent me away quite quickly before taking a coffee break. I surmised she might have just been having a bad day, but after the stories I heard about the office and the people who work there, it seems that quite a lot of people at this office seem to have a LOT of bad days…every day…


end of quote